Sunday, July 28, 2013

Tonight's Dinner

Tonight I made the following dinner.

Grits with gravy, Kale+Onions+Mushrooms, BBQ Tempeh

Italian Vegetable Salad


The Grits: These are white grits, and because finding good grits in New England is like finding the Abominable Snowman in the Sahara, they are Trader Joes variety, the best I can find here. Bring 2 cups of water to a boil, add 1TBSP of Earth Balance Organic, 1/4 TSP Salt, 1/2 cup of Grits, reduce to warm, cover tightly, let cook for 8-10 minutes, stir, turn off heat, leave uncovered for 5 minutes.

The Gravy: I can and do make gravy from time to time, but I don't always have the time or money to do it from the start, so I use Vegan-friendly instant gravy from either Whole Foods or Shaws. Tonight I used, Hain Pure Foods Vegetarian Brown Gravy. I add 1/8 cup of Nutritional Yeast and 2 TBSP of Braggs, once the mixture comes to a boil

Tempeh: No, I didn't make my own Tempeh, someday I will. The Tempeh here came from Trader Joes, it's their basic Tempeh, and I find it bakes up better than other brands.

BBQ Sauce: Again, I feel like the laziest Vegan in the world tonight, I promise to do better in the future. This is Jack Daniel's Master Blend BBQ sauce. I cut the Temp[eh into 14 pieces, sprayed a baking pan, placed the Tempeh on the pan then in the Toaster Oven, broiled each side for 6 minutes, then, after both sides were broiled, I painted (used a paint brush) to put BBQ sauce on them, broiled for another 5 minutes on each side.

Kale+Onions+Mushrooms: In a large skillet I placed 2TBSP of Olive Oil, heated up the oil on medium heat, then added 1 large thinly-sliced Vidalia Onion, added 1/2TSP of Turmeric Powder, 2 crushed cloves of Garlic, sautéed for 5 minutes, added 8 ounces of Baby Portobello Mushrooms (each one mushroom cut into fours), sauté for 5 minutes, add 6 cups of chopped Red Kale (I like to do 1-inch ribbons), mix in the pan (I use large metal tongs) for 3-5 minutes, lower heat to simmer, add 1/8 cup of Nutritional Yeast, a pinch of Black Pepper, 1/8 Cup of Braggs, let the liquid cook out for the next 5 minutes.

Italian Vegetable Salad: This one is too simple. 1 English Cucumber cut in half (length-wise), remove the seeds, then cut in slices, thinly slice 2 tomatoes (I use organic Vine-Ripened), add in 1 large jar of Pastene-brand Giardiniera Pickled Vegetables, drain the liquid, add a pinch of Black Pepper, mix well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for posting your comment to "In Veganism Veritas."
We greatly appreciate your participation in our neck of Cyberspace, and for continuing the dialogue on Veganism and Truth.

We will look at your comment shortly and if it meets our posting standards ("does this contribute to the conversion on Veganism and Truth?"), we will be happy to confirm the posting.